Senior Policy and Research Analyst or Counsel on AI - Technology & Democracy
New America seeks a Senior Policy and Research Analyst or Counsel on AI who will play a key role across New America’s Technology and Democracy Programs. This person will bring substantive policy experience and domain expertise on emerging issues around AI, machine learning, and algorithmic accountability that will inform research, priorities, and technology sprint engagements. They will coordinate research, advocacy, and engagement across programs in order to support the evolution of an AI ecosystem that prioritizes transparency, meaningful accountability, and fairness. This position reports to the Vice President, Technology and Democracy.
About the Organization: New America’s Technology and Democracy programs include experts on a range of technology policy issues, including net neutrality, broadband access and adoption, consumer privacy and security, platform accountability, encryption, government surveillance, internet governance, freedom of expression online, digital public infrastructure and wireless broadband and spectrum. These programs consist of:
- Open Technology Institute: works at the intersection of technology and policy to ensure that every community has equitable access to digital technology and its benefits. Issue areas include surveillance, consumer privacy and security, freedom of expression online, platform accountability, transparency, net neutrality, broadband access, and more.
- Digital Impact and Governance Initiative: works to advance understanding and replication of digital public infrastructure by governments and change-leaders.
- Public Interest Technology: works with partners — including government agencies, nongovernmental organizations, advocacy groups, universities, policymakers, and other mission-driven organizations — to develop the public interest technology ecosystem, with a focus on expanding the pipeline to ensure that technologists reflect the diversity of the country they serve.
- Planetary Politics: building a new approach to foreign policy that includes helping to catalyze the creation of a trusted, neutral global entity to develop agreed definitions and measurements of the digital harms and goods that constitute the planetary digital commons.
- Wireless Future Project: develops and advocates policies to promote universal, fast and affordable wireless broadband connectivity, including the reallocation of prime spectrum for shared public access and community networks in marginalized areas.
- Future Frontlines: uses open-source investigative tools, data mining techniques, and journalistic methods to explore how the digital revolution is reshaping global conflict, competition and influence.
- Develop a AI policy and research work plan for T&D programs that informs technology engagements and individual program efforts
- Support the development of research across T&D programs and coordinating knowledge exchange to ensure understanding and advancement of AI strategy
- Create and manage partnerships with key policy stakeholders to collaborate on advancing policy proposals and learnings
- Identify opportunities to communicate and disseminate research and policy findings
- Research, writing, and analysis on core principles and best practices that advance the responsible use of AI in the public interest
- Public speaking through conferences, New America-hosted events, and with partner organizations
- Strong command of AI policy and the ecosystem of key organizations and advocates seeking to advance the responsible use of AI
- Familiarity with data science, and the design and use of AI in current policy contexts
- Strong project management and execution skills
- Experience making recommendations about policy design and implementation to government stakeholders
- Superior policy research and writing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience analyzing statutes and proposed legislation
- Experience translating technical concepts into language accessible to policymakers and others who lack technical expertise
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with internal/external stakeholders
- Proven ability to coordinate and inspire the work of others
- A commitment to a workplace and team atmosphere that centers equity and well-being
Location: Washington, DC-based candidates are preferred, but fully remote situations will be considered for the right candidate.
Salary & Benefits: The salary range for a Senior Policy and Research Analyst or Counsel is $77,580 - $116,370. New America offers a highly competitive benefits package that includes health care, dental, and vision coverage; a generous retirement plan with an employer contribution of 7% eligible after the first year of service, and dollar-for-dollar match of up to 3% of the employee’s salary eligible immediately; 20 days of paid time off (combined vacation and sick days) in your first year of employment and 30 days of paid time off in subsequent years; 12 weeks of paid parental leave; 10 paid Federal holidays; and an office-wide closure between Christmas and New Year.
How to Apply: Submit a resume, cover letter, and a writing sample that is accessible for a general public audience of under 1,500 words. Please be sure to include in your cover letter where you heard about this posting.
New America is an equal-opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our mission, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination. This is not a bargaining unit position.