New America is a public policy and civic enterprise committed to renewing American politics and purpose in the Digital Age. We invest in new thinkers and ideas to address the most pressing public challenges. At New America, we bridge the gap between technology and policy, and curate broad public conversation.
New America CA amplifies the reach of California change agents. We work to engage the next generation of social entrepreneurs, nonprofit leaders, and public innovators to effectively transform outdated systems and institutions. Our areas of interest include, but are not limited to, Civic Innovation, Economic Opportunity, Education, and Technology for Good. We create impact through our fellowship program, which identifies, supports, and amplifies the work of innovative public problem solvers. We also engage new audiences via dynamic debates that inspire creative solutions that can be applied in California and beyond.
New America CA seeks a Program Manager with a passion for public problem solving and experience designing and managing programs for a mission-driven organization. The Program Manager will support the Director in running a yearlong fellowship for social entrepreneurs in California, developing and executing our communications strategy, planning and hosting public events, and cultivating new opportunities. The ideal candidate is a creative problem solver who is organized and self-motivated.
This role requires four essential things:
- The desire to wade into and manage multiple creative, cutting-edge projects. Our Program Manager will be a part of a small team doing everything from designing programming, editing writing for publication, connecting with local groups for partnership, and representing New America CA at high-level meetings.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills to effectively edit and shape pieces written by staff and fellows and, working with our Communications team in DC, get them placed in the right outlets.
- Ability and desire to connect with like-minded people. Our Program Manager will build all kinds of relationships including with experts in New America’s other hubs and with a range of dynamic external partners.
- A curiosity about how we can get more people involved in solving public problems. Fundamentally, New America CA is about finding and amplifying the best public problem solvers in California.
- Program Development & Implementation: You will lead the outreach, recruitment, and logistics for our annual CA Fellows Program. With an emphasis on feedback and evaluation, you will think creatively about how to improve and expand upon existing programming. You will coordinate action plans around each of our fellows and help them execute these plans. This includes events and content for publication based on their work.
- Communication: You will be responsible for developing communication plans that promote the New America brand in California. With the Director, Program Associate, Communications team in Washington DC, and Fellows you will identify compelling stories of local innovation and suggest creative ways to tell them to new and broader audiences. Building, shaping and crafting these stories in a thoughtful and proactive way will be a large part of your mandate.
- Collaboration: You will need to quickly build cross-discipline relationships with partners on events, within New America’s programs in DC and across hubs in New York, Chicago, and Indianapolis, and to generate dynamic content for publication. You should be a nimble connector that gets people around you excited about and engaged in our work and who is able to multi-task, work efficiently and effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. The Program Manager needs to display a facility and comfort with developing connections with people inside and outside our organization.
- Curiosity: An inquisitive, open-minded nature with insatiable curiosity about solving public problems.
The ideal candidate also has at least some of the following skills:
- Experience in public policy and/or journalism
- Experience designing and hosting events
- Experience planning and executing communication plans
- Knowledge of the dynamics of nonprofits and/or experience working in a nonprofit setting
- Understanding of the intersection of technology and policy/societal issues and communities
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Strong interest in the mission of New America CA including civic innovation, public problem solving, and social entrepreneurship.
A full resume (no LinkedIn summaries please) and original cover letter are required. We will accept and review applications received by DOD on June 25th. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Please, no phone calls or emails.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.